Since 1916, The Arts Club of Chicago has been a leading exhibitor of contemporary art, a forum for established and emerging artists, and a celebrated venue for performers from around the world. In a 1995 competition, VHA was selected as architect of the club's new headquarters, a two-story masonry and glass building, clad in Norman brick with large glazed openings.
The club's famous stair, designed by Mies van der Rohe, was salvaged and incorporated into the new design, linking the galleries with dining and performance spaces above. The 19,000 SF building also features a commercial kitchen, private dining rooms, administrative and research spaces, and a garden adjacent to the main gallery.
General Contractor: W.E. O'Neil
Structural Engineer: Thornton-Tomasetti
M/E/P Engineer: ESD
Lighting: Schuler Shook
Landscape: Douglas Hoerr Landscape Architecture
Photographer: Hedrich Blessing and William Zbaren