This 1807 "double pile" house is the oldest brick structure in Illinois. Built by frontier entrepreneur Nicolas Jarrot, it is mostly unaltered and retains a high degree of integrity.
Working closely with the site curator and the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency, VHA restored the mansion with minimal interventions that are largely reversible. These include structural upgrades, ADA accessibility and the installation of a simple heating and cooling system ducted through the existing chimneys. All interior finishes were restored to the 1810 color scheme.
Structural Engineer: Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates
M/E/P Engineer: Weber Consultants
Photographer: John Bertram