This 44,000 sf commercial building was completed in 1919 in Chicago's Ravenswood neighborhood. Originally a screw warehouse, the building features a concrete structure with massive columns and robust floor framing. The vacant property was purchased by a hedge fund owner seeking a mixed use facility combining business operations with a single family residence.
VHA's design organizes the functions across the different floor levels. The residence is located on the third floor, with new outdoor spaces and pool added to the roof above. Business operations fill the second floor, while the first floor is dedicated to building access, parking, and storage for the owner's car collection.
The business spaces on the lower levels feature an open floor of trading desks ringed by glazed conference rooms, breakout areas and offices. The rugged material palette of the existing building is left exposed and complemented by new wood and glass elements.
On the upper floor, the existing sawtooth skylight illuminates the home's living space, while the bedrooms are arranged around the perimeter. The restrained material palette continues here, with ample wood to soften the existing industrial surfaces.
A roof terrace with views of downtown links to the swimming pool beyond.
The view looking north from the pool deck highlights the project's setting within the Ravenswood commercial district.
Structural Engineer: Goodfriend Magruder Structure LLC
M/E/P Engineer: McGuire Engineers
Lighting: Lux Populi
All images ©Vinci | Hamp Architects, Inc