Skokie Country Club's clubhouse, designed in 1911, underwent numerous uncoordinated renovations throughout the 20th century. In 2001, VHA was selected to oversee a major expansion and renovation of these facilities.
The two-phase project featured a 40,000 sf renovation and expansion of the existing 1911 clubhouse, providing enhanced gathering spaces and member amenities. Outside, a new porte cochere at the club's main entrance recalls the original design.
New spaces on the main level are distinguished by soaring proportions and generous daylight from clerestory windows.
Much of the lower level was gutted and re-planned for improved flow and greater aesthetic consistency.
Adjacent to the clubhouse, VHA designed a new 12,000 sf Pro Shop and cart storage facility. Taking formal cues from the main clubhouse, the building is carefully sited to reduce is apparent size and mass.
Other improvements include a renovated poolhouse and the design of a new tennis viewing area, plus a comprehensive landscape redesign.
General Contractor: Valenti Builders
Structural Engineer: The Structural Group
M/E/P Engineer: Klaucens
Lighting: Randy Burkett Lighting Design
Landscape: Peter Lindsay Schaudt Landscape Architecture
Photographer: Leslie Schwarz